Passengers traveling with checked/unchecked pets are required to contact EVA Air before the departure date to confirm the conditions of transportation. If you plan to travel with your pet, you will be responsible for providing valid health and vaccination certificates in addition to other documents that may be required by countries of departure, transit or entry. Airport personnel reserve the right to reject carriage of your pet if arrangements do not comply with EVA Air's transportation standards, including health and safety of the animal. The accompanied pets, such as dogs, cats and rabbits may be transported on EVA Air's aircraft as checked baggage in the cargo compartment.
* Please note that rabies reappeared in Taiwan and the Council of Agriculture (COA) had informed to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) on July 17th,2013 and pet travel from Taiwan to some countries may be affected. You should verify the quarantine regulation of the importing country in advance or consult with Bureau of Animal and Plant Inspection and Quarantine (BAPHIQ) if you have questions. If no domestic or imported cases of rabies are found in Taiwan over a period of two years, Taiwan will be able to seek OIE listing again as a rabies-free country. Please click here for more information.
- Please allow extra time beyond the normal check-in time requirement.
- EVA Air has suspended the transportation of live birds.
- With effect on Sept. 1st, 2006, EVA Air terminated its service to accept pets as unchecked baggage in the cabin, except for service animals such as escort dogs, emotional support animals to which medical certificates are required.
- Transport of snub nose dogs, such as boxers, pugs, bulldogs and Pekinese, in hot season is not recommended. These animals have difficulty in maintaining a normal body temperature in hot weather. Research has shown that brachycephalic animals (snub-nosed, short snout or flat face) are very sensitive to the changes of temperature because of their snub noses. They have high potential risk of breathing trouble during air transportation, causing negative health impact to the animals. As a result, the following brachycephalic animals, including dogs and cats, will not be accepted for carriage from May 1st to Oct 31st. However, traveling to/via/from Southeast Asia are prohibited throughout a year.
Dogue de Bordeaux
English Toy Spaniel
Japanese Chin/Japanese Spaniel/Chin Chin
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Exotic shorthair cat
The following Southeast Asian countries are prohibited to transport brachycephalic (snub-nosed) dogs and cats for the whole year:
Please note itineraries involved with Southeast Asia above are also prohibited for all sectors:
Example 1: Los Angeles Taipei-Taipei London (cannot accept due to Taipei/London sector via Bangkok)
Example 2: Los Angeles Taipei-Taipei Manila (cannot accept due stop in Manila)
* Taipei-Paris V.V. is acceptable during non-embargo period due to direct flights.
* Countries which are not listed above, the embargo periods are May to October for the Northern Hemisphere and October to March for the Southern Hemisphere every year.
- Dangerous Dogs
The following dangerous dog breeds and their cross-breeds are not permitted to accept during the whole year:
American Pit Bull (Terrier)
American Staffordshire Terrier
Pit Bull Terrier
Dogo Argentino (Argentine Mastiff)
- Australia: Pets are prohibited to be carried to/ from Australia as unchecked baggage in the cabin or checked baggage in the cargo compartment. However, properly harnessed seeing-eye/hearing-aid dogs accompanying the vision or hearing impaired passengers can be transported to/from in the passenger cabin.
- United Kingdom: Pets and seeing-eye/hearing-aid dogs are prohibited to be carried to England as unchecked baggage in the cabin or checked baggage in the cargo compartment. They can only be carried from England as checked baggage in the cargo compartment.
- Hong Kong: Pets and seeing-eye/hearing-aid dogs are prohibited to be carried to Hong Kong as unchecked baggage in the cabin or checked baggage in the cargo compartment. They can only be carried from Hong Kong as unchecked baggage in the cabin or checked baggage in the cargo compartment.
- Pets and seeing-eye/hearing-aid dogs are prohibited to be carried from China as unchecked baggage in cabin or checked baggage in the cargo compartment.
Pets as Checked Baggage (AVIH)
Pets can be accepted for carriage by air only if they are being transported in containers that must be:
- Leak, escape and claw-proof.
- Constructed so that there is no risk of your animal escaping, injuring itself or causing damage to other items in the aircraft.
- Designed for air transportation. Ensure that the animal is comfortable without risk of it injuring or causing discomfort to personnel responsible for its safe transit.
- Have functioning ventilation openings on more than one side. Easily recognizable as an animal container. Have moisture-absorbing material covering the bottom or floor.
- Kennel or container must be made of rigid plastics material which can provide a strong packing during the carriage.
- Height: Height of the animal in standing position, without touching the roof of the cage.
- Length: From nose to root of the tail, plus half height from ground to elbow-joint.
- Width: Twice that of the animal across the shoulder blades.
- Each animal contained in the container must have enough space to turn about normally while standing, to stand and sit
erect, and to lie in a natural position.
- A sufficient supply of food and water with appropriate feeding receptacles must be securely attached to the container.
- Click this link to see the International Air Transport Association (IATA) standard container.
- The compartment in which your pet will be carried will have the same pressure and temperature as the passenger cabin.
- There is no restriction on weight for pets transported as checked baggage with the exception of structural limitations on some aircraft. For details, please contact EVA Air.
- No more than two adult animals of comparable size, weighing as much as 14 kg/31 lb. each, can be shipped in the same kennel. For their safety and comfort, animals that weigh more than this must travel individually. A maximum of three animals that are less than six months old and from the same litter can be shipped in the same cage.
- By your request, an agent at a transit point may check the pet to ensure an adequate supply of food and water on your behalf.
- On a trip involving more than one airline, pets cannot be through-checked to another carrier's connecting flight unless a prior confirmation is obtained from the receiving carrier as to the carriage of such animal on the flight. Be sure to plan adequate time for this transfer.
Your pet(s) and their kennel or container, as either checked or unchecked baggage, will be charged as excess baggage and excluded from your free baggage allowance. Seeing-eye/hearing-aid dogs will be carried free of charge without weight limits when they accompany passengers who depend upon these animals.
- Weight system: Charge by the total weight of pet(s) together with kennel or container.
- Piece system: An accompanied pet that meets all requirements will be charged as 2(Two) units of excess baggage, details as follows:
- Total weight of the animal and container is less than 32kg, charges will be collected as twice of the normal excess baggage charge per container.
- In case of over 32kg, it will be triple of the normal extra baggage charge.
For the Excess Baggage Charge Table, please click here. For interline transfer of Animals, charges may vary depending on different carriers. Please consult with EVA Reservation or your travel agency for details.
Aircraft Type Limitation
Due to aircraft type limitation, pet travel is unaccepted for some flights. If you have further questions, please contact EVA reservation.