Travelling with Pets
Travelling with Pets
Starting from August 1, 2021(request day), EVA Air has adjusted the age of pets, restrictions on the number of the passenger carried, and the rules prohibiting interline transfers. Please refer to this page for more details.
- The accompanied pets, only dogs, cats, and rabbits, can be transported on EVA Air's aircraft as checked baggage in the cargo compartment. Pets are not accepted in the cabin except for service dogs carried by disabled passengers.
- Pregnant animals and animals younger than 4 months will not be accepted for carriage.
- Each passenger who occupies a seat can check in a maximum of 2 cages except for an unaccompanied minor. If the country/region of arrival/transit has stricter pet limits, follow its regulations.
- Pets are not accepted on board if the passenger’s itinerary includes interline segments and are only accepted on international flights directly operated by EVA Air/UNI Air.
- If you have a pet travel request, please inform EVA Air reservation staff at least 48 hours before departure. Also, download and fill out the “Passenger’s Declaration for Live Animal” form in duplicate and submit them at the airport when you check your pet(s).
- Passengers are responsible for providing valid health and vaccination certificates and other documents that may be required by countries of departure, transit or entry when traveling with pets. Airport personnel will reserve the right to reject the carriage of your pet if arrangements do not comply with EVA Air's transportation standards, including the health and safety of the animal.
- In order to ensure the smooth handling of pets traveling as checked baggage, passengers traveling with pets should check in at the counter two hours before departure. Due to processing time and the distance for handling pet delivery at London Heathrow Airport, please be aware that you should complete check-in procedures 2.5 hours before departure.
- Due to changes in aircraft disinfection and cleaning procedures during the epidemic, starting from October 18, 2021, EVA Air has suspended the transportation of pets to the Mainland China.
Route and Aircraft Type Limitation
Five containers (cages) are allowed per flight except A321 and B787. Some routes and aircraft types cannot accept pets as checked baggage or have restrictions on the number of pets. For details, please contact our reservation staff.
- Pets as checked baggage are not accepted.
- Long-haul flights: Pets as checked baggage are not accepted (including Europe, North America and Oceania).
- Short-haul flights: 2 cages for each flight.
The following brachycephalic dog/cat breeds and any “mix” of will not be accepted for carriage from Apr 1 to Nov 30 at Northern Hemisphere points and from Oct 1 to Mar 31 at Southern Hemisphere points. Traveling to/via/from Southeast Asia are prohibited throughout the year.
- Boston Terrier
- Boxers (all breeds)
- Brussels Griffin
- Bulldog (all breeds)
- Bull Terrier
- Pug (all breeds)
- Chow Chow
- Dogue de Bordeaux
- English Toy Spaniel
- Japanese Chin/Japanese Spaniel/Chin Chin
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
- Lhasa Apso
- Mastiff (all breeds)
- Presa Canario
- Shar Pei
- Shih Tzu
- Tibetan Spaniel
- Persian (e.g. Chinchilla)
- Exotic short-haired cat
The following Southeast Asian countries are prohibited to transport brachycephalic (snub-nosed) dogs and cats for the whole year:
Please note: itineraries involving Southeast Asia above are also prohibited for all sectors
- Example 1: Los Angeles Taipei-Taipei London (cannot accept due to Taipei/London sector).
- Example 2: Los Angeles Taipei-Taipei Manila (cannot accept due to a stop in Manila).
- Taipei-Paris V.V. is acceptable during the non-embargo period due to direct flights.
- Countries which are not listed above, the embargo periods are from April to November for the Northern Hemisphere and from October to March for the Southern Hemisphere every year.
The following dangerous dog breeds and their cross-breeds are not permitted during the whole year:
- American Pit Bull (Terrier)
- American Staffordshire
- Terrier Fila Brazileiros
- Japanese Tosa
- Pit Bull Terrier
- Dogo Argentino (Argentine Mastiff)
- Cane Corso
Please note that there may be additional restrictions on pet transport regulations during the COVID-19 epidemic, so be sure to confirm your destination quarantine and entry regulations before you fly.
- Taiwan R.O.C.: Article 119-3 of the Civil Aviation Act of the ROC stipulates that any person shall be subject to a fine from NT 5,000 to NT 25,000 for taking an animal into an airport, thus interfering with health, order, and safety. The operator of an airport may, in conjunction with the Aviation Police Office, compel his or her absence from the airport.
- Australia: Pets are prohibited to be carried to Brisbane as unchecked baggage in the cabin or checked baggage in the cargo compartment. However, it is permitted to carry pets from Brisbane. Properly harnessed seeing-eye/hearing-aid dogs accompanying visually or hearing-impaired passengers can be transported to/from the passenger cabin.
- United Kingdom: Pets and seeing-eye/hearing-aid dogs are prohibited to be carried to the UK as unchecked baggage in the cabin or as checked baggage in the cargo compartment. They can only be carried from the UK as checked baggage in the cargo compartment. Please be aware that for the passenger travelling with pets must check-in at counter prior 2.5 hours before departure time when departs from the Heathrow Airport.
- Hong Kong: Pets and seeing-eye/hearing-aid dogs are prohibited to be carried to Hong Kong as unchecked baggage in the cabin or as checked baggage in the cargo compartment. They can only be carried from Hong Kong as unchecked baggage in the cabin or as checked baggage in the cargo compartment.
- Macau: Since passengers need to be quarantined at the hotel for 14 days after arriving in Macau, from now on, passengers’ pets can only be transported by cargo during COVID-19.
- China: According to Announcement of No. 5 of 2019 from the General Administration of Customs of the People's Republic of China (Announcement on Further Regulating the Supervision of Entry and Quarantine of Pets), pets that pass inspection and comply all requirements, including microchip implants, entering China from the designated countries or any non-designated country (e.g. Taiwan) will not be subject to quarantine for 30 days and will clear customs directly upon arrival. Please click here for more details. Each passenger can only bring one dog or one cat at a time. You can contact Airport Quarantine for more information before traveling.
- United States:Passengers travelling with pets to the United States, you can refer to Bringing an Animal into the United States. Please note that beginning July 14, 2021, there is a temporary suspension for dogs imported from countries that CDC considers high risk for dog rabies. You can find more information from HERE.
- Canada: The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has special regulations for commercial importations of live animals (including dogs destined for adoption). Please click Importing or traveling with pets for more information.
- More country-specific regulations and documents about pet travel can be obtained from IATA's Traveler's Pet Corner.
Pets as Checked Baggage (AVIH)
Pets can be accepted for carriage by air only if they are being transported in containers that must be
- The pet container must be of rigid plastic material as per IATA regulations, with only one door for the pet(s) to enter/exit, and can prevent the pet(s) from escaping or the claws from being exposed.
- Have functioning ventilation openings on more than one side. Easily recognizable as an animal container. Have moisture-absorbing material covering the bottom or floor.
- Height: Height of the animal in standing position, without touching the roof of the cage.
- Length: From nose to the root of the tail, plus half height from the ground to the elbow-joint.
- Width: Twice that of the animal across the shoulder blades.
- Each animal contained in the container must have enough space to turn about normally while standing, to stand and sit erect, and to lie in a natural position.
- A sufficient supply of food and water with appropriate feeding receptacles must be securely attached to the container.
- Please refer to the following example that complies with the International Air Transport Association (IATA) pet cage standard definition.
- Unsuitable container examples: Containers made entirely of welded mesh, wire mesh, wicker, cardboard, or collapsible materials and two doors for entry/exit are strictly prohibited.
- The compartment in which your pet will be carried will have the same pressure and temperature as the passenger cabin.
- The number of pets allowed per container is as follows:
- Total weight of pet and container > 14kg: One pet per container
- Age ≧4 months and total weight of pets and container ≤ 14kg: Up to two pets of similar size per container (two cats, two dogs, or two rabbits)
- Note: The size of the container should be related to the largest animal. If two animals share a pet cage, the size of the pet cage is three times the width of the largest animal. If the total weight of pets and container exceeds 14kg, each of them must have their own cage.
Your pet and its container accepted as checked baggage will be charged as excess baggage and excluded from your free baggage allowance. When accompanied by passengers dependent on these animals, the seeing-eye/hearing-aid dogs will be carried free of charge without weight restrictions.
Weight System (Except countries that apply the Piece Concept)
Charged by 1.5 times the weight.
e.g. If you travel from Taipei to Narita with a dog weighing 10kg (pet+container), you'll be charged USD225 (10kg x 1.5=15kg, 15kg x USD15=USD225).
Piece System (To/From the US and Canada and Countries in South and Central America)
Weight ≦ 32kg: 2 units of excess baggage charge rate should be applied
32kg < Weight ≦ 42kg: 4 units of excess baggage charge rate should be applied
Weight > 42kg: 6 units of excess baggage charge rate should be applied
*Note: More than 50kg must be approved by EVA Air before departure. Total linear dimension should be less than 292cm (115in).
Please check the Excess Baggage Charge Table. For interline transfer of animals, charges may vary depending on different carriers. Please consult with EVA Reservations or your travel agency for details.