At the Airport
Forbidden items include: Dangerous items that pose a risk to the aircraft, or to passengers or property on board the aircraft. Items prohibited by the laws or regulations of any country in your travel itinerary. Items identified by EVA as unsuitable for carriage due to their weight, size or nature. Live animals, with the exception of dogs, cats, household birds and service animals such as guide dogs or hearing dogs that are safely transported in accordance with EVA Air's requirements. Firearms and ammunition for anything other than hunting or sporting purposes. Fragile or perishable items, money, jewellery, precious metals, silverware, negotiable papers, securities or other valuables, business documents, prototype products, paintings, etc. should not be packed in checked baggage.
You can carry fragile, bulky items, musical instruments, etc. into the cabin with you if the required number of additional seats are reserved and paid for in advance. Items are subject to a weight restriction of 70 kg per seat. There are also restrictions on item dimensions. Please contact EVA Reservations for more details.
EVA apologises for any inconvenience caused.
Please contact the EVA Air Baggage Service Office as soon as you discover that your baggage has been delayed, stolen, lost or damaged. Claims for delayed, lost or missing items must be submitted within 21 days of the flight in question. Claims for damaged baggage must be submitted within seven (7) days. Reimbursement for reasonable expenses will be awarded based on acceptable proof of claim. Click here for more information.
Liability for Checked Baggage
Liability for checked baggage is limited in accordance with the relevant conventions governing international air travel. The relevant convention is subject to the provisions of the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention (whichever is applicable), and the terms of the EVA Air General Conditions of Carriage.
Liability for Unchecked Baggage
Carry-on (unchecked) baggage includes items that you carry with you into the aircraft cabin and keep under your care throughout the flight. EVA is not liable for any loss of or damage to carry-on (unchecked) baggage unless such loss or damage is caused by EVA's negligence. Under such circumstances, EVA's liability is limited in accordance with the relevant conventions governing international air travel. The relevant convention is subject to the provisions of the Warsaw Convention or the Montreal Convention (whichever is applicable), and the terms of the EVA Air General Conditions of Carriage.
Please note that EVA Air is not liable for loss, damage or delay in delivery of perishable property and baggage that was inadequately packed, nor for damage to, or damage caused by, fragile articles, liquids or perishables. EVA Air's liability may be limited for the loss of, damage to, or delay in delivery of: medicines, orthotics (medical support devices), money, jewellery, silverware, negotiable papers, securities, business/personal documents, spirits, books/manuscripts, optical devices (cameras, projectors, etc.), keys, publications, blueprints, paintings/works of art, business samples, irreplaceable items, photographs, business equipment, natural fur products, antiques, heirlooms, collectibles, artefacts, precious metals/stones, photographic/audio/video equipment and related items, computer hardware/software or electronic components/equipment.
You are entitled to a free baggage allowance. Your free baggage allowance will vary depending on your route, class and member tier. You may take extra bags with you for a charge. Please contact your travel agent, check EVA's Interline Baggage or contact an EVA Air ticketing office for more information. For more details, please click Checked Baggage.
We welcome accompanied pets, including cats, dogs, rabbits and service animals such as guide dogs or hearing dogs on EVA-operated flights. Please contact EVA Air to confirm the conditions of transportation. Subject to regulations in the country from which your flight departs, animals can be carried as checked baggage in a temperature-controlled compartment. Please contact EVA Air for information concerning transportation of other animals. Please note: Since 1 September 2006, EVA Air does not allow any pets to be carried in the cabin as unchecked baggage, with the exception of service animals such as guide dogs or hearing dogs.
Pets and guide dogs must be healthy, clean and free from odour, and they must not present a risk of harm to other passengers. All animals must be safely contained in a cage or other container that is suitably protected against leaks, from which the animal cannot escape, and from inside of which the animal does not pose a risk of harm to others. You must provide sufficient food and water for your animal(s) for the duration of the journey.
Pets carried in the cabin cannot be fed during the flight. The weight of any animal carried on board cannot exceed 5 kg, and dimensions of the cage or carrier must comply with the requirements for unchecked baggage. The number of pets allowed on board as unchecked baggage is limited for each flight. Please contact EVA Air for more information.
Please note: Since 1 September 2006, EVA Air does not allow any pets to be carried in the cabin as unchecked baggage, with the exception of service animals such as guide dogs or hearing dogs.
Accompanied service animals, such as guide dogs or hearing dogs, will be carried free of charge. There is a service charge for carriage of other animals. Please contact EVA Air for more information.
There are no special restrictions on size or weight for service animals such as guide dogs or hearing dogs travelling in the cabin. Dogs must be properly harnessed and muzzled, remain at the feet of their owner, and, if possible, lay on the floor next to the cabin wall.
Please use a container or cage that is suitable for air travel and large enough for the animal to sit upright and lay down comfortably.
Research has shown that brachycephalic (short-nosed) animals are particularly sensitive to changes in temperature. Because of this, they are at an increased risk of suffering from breathing difficulties during air transportation, and this can have a negative impact on their health. For this reason, the following brachycephalic breeds will not be accepted for carriage during the high-temperature season (1 April to 30 November):
Boxers (all breeds)
Bulldog (all breeds)
Pug (all breeds)
Dogue de Bordeaux
English Toy Spaniel
Japanese Chin/Japanese Spaniel/Chin Chin
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Mastiff (all breeds)
Exotic shorthair cats
Please click Travelling with Pets for more information.
Unchecked baggage will only be allowed on board if it can be safely stowed underneath a passenger seat or in the closed overhead bin. EVA Air "Test Units" for checking whether or not baggage needs to be checked can be found either at EVA Air check-in counters or at boarding lounges at each airport. Unchecked baggage that exceeds EVA Air's restrictions will be checked and carried in the luggage compartment in order to prevent risks to health and safety.
If you wish to take fragile, bulky items, larger musical instruments, etc. into the cabin, then you may purchase an extra seat for stowing your cabin baggage. Cabin Baggage cannot be booked online and reservations for this service should be made with an EVA Air agent at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled departure time. For more information, please contact our Reservation Office.
Free Carry-On Items:
All Royal Laurel, Premium Laurel and Business Class passengers are allowed to carry two items of hand-carry baggage. The weight of each item cannot exceed 7 kg. All Premium Economy Class and Economy Class passengers are allowed to carry one item of hand-carry baggage weighing no more than 7 kg.
The dimensions of each item of hand luggage may not exceed 23 × 36 × 56 cm, or dimensions which total 115 cm (this restriction does not apply to personal items) and:
- A bag of food and supplies for the care of an infant during the flight.
- One infant carrier or fully collapsible pushchair (to be loaded in the hold luggage compartment if stowage space is not available in the cabin).
- Wheelchairs/crutches/braces/prosthetic devices on which a disabled passenger depends (to be loaded in the hold luggage compartment if stowage space is not available in the cabin). Please click Special Assistance and Enquiries for details.
- One laptop computer.
Please refer to Carry-on Baggage for more information.
Baggage in excess of EVA Air’s free allowance will be subject to excess baggage charges and some routes may require additional baggage fees when the bags are overweight or oversize. Some different regulations and charges may apply to special baggage, you can contact EVA Air reservations 48 hours prior to departure. Please click Excess Baggage and Other Optional Fees for more details.
Please note, do not pack any single piece of baggage heavier than 32 kg. to prevent injury to yourself or to the baggage handlers. Any single piece of baggage heavier than 32 kg and unable to repack requires advance application with EVA so that proper preparations can be arranged. Please click General Information.
EVA Air will check your baggage through to the final destination, provided that the below conditions are met. However, if you are transferring from a flight operated by another airline to an EVA Air flight, please check the other airline's regulations on transferring baggage.
- The passenger in question holds a reservation on an onward connecting flight.
- The flight transfer time is within 12 hours of departure.
- The connecting flight departs from the destination airport of the previous segment.
- There is an interline baggage agreement between EVA Air and the carrier for the connecting flight.
- The checked baggage complies with the laws and regulations of the country where the transfer takes place.
- Please contact EVA Air's ground staff for information concerning regulations on overnight transfer of baggage.
For safety reasons, the below items are classed as dangerous goods, and are not allowed in your luggage:
- Compressed gases, regardless of flammability or toxicity (such as butane, oxygen, liquid nitrogen and diving tanks)
- Corrosives (such as strong acids, strong alkalis, mercury, mercury-containing devices and wet-cell batteries)
- Explosives (such as ammunition, fireworks, firecrackers and flares)
- Flammables (such as lighter fuels, matches, paints, thinner and igniters)
- Radioactive materials
- Briefcases and security-type attaché cases with installed alarm devices
- Oxidising substances (such as bleaching powder and peroxides)
- Poisonous and infectious substances (such as pesticides, weed-killers and active viruses)
- Other dangerous goods (such as magnetised materials, offensive weapons or irritants)
We recommend that you check in at least one-and-a-half hours (1 h 30 m) before the scheduled departure time. Check-in counter opening times vary for each airport. Please contact the EVA Airport Office if you need more information.
EVA provides special meals to meet a number of different dietary, medical and religious requirements. If a special meal is only requested upon arrival at the airport, there may not be enough time to prepare it. Please make any special meal requests when you make your reservation.
In compliance with certain regulations, and in order to assure cabin safety, the exit-row seats cannot be assigned to passengers for whom any of the following are applicable:
- The passenger does not have sufficient mobility, strength or dexterity in both arms, hands or legs
- The passenger is less than 15 years old
- The passenger does not have the ability to read or understand printed or graphic instructions related to emergency evacuation
- The passenger does not have sufficient visual capacity to perform applicable functions without the assistance of visual aids other than contact lenses or eyeglasses
- The passenger does not have sufficient aural capacity to hear and understand instructions given by cabin crew members without assistance other than a hearing aid
- The passenger does not have the ability to convey information orally to other passengers
- The passenger has the responsibility of caring for small children
- The passenger is a deportee, or the escort of a deportee
- The passenger is travelling with a service animal (e.g. a guide dog)
- The passenger is travelling with baggage on another seat in the cabin
- The passenger suffers from any condition that might cause bodily harm when performing any of the functions listed below.
If you have been assigned an exit-row seat, you may be asked to perform the following functions when a cabin crew member is not available:
- Be able to locate the emergency exit
- Be able to recognise the emergency exit opening mechanism and its operating instructions
- Be able to read and understand the operating instructions for the emergency exit, and follow hand signals and spoken instructions given by crew members
- Be able to stow or secure the emergency exit door so that it will not obstruct the exit
- Be able to activate the slide, stabilise it after deployment, and assist other passengers in its use
- Be able to assess, select and follow a safe path away from the emergency exit and aircraft. Be willing to help other passengers away from the plane.
If you cannot or do not wish to perform these functions, please inform a ground staff or cabin crew member and ask to be reseated. Your compliance with the regulations and assistance with cabin safety will be highly appreciated.
EVA Air only provides services for flights departing from Taoyuan International Airport, Taiwan.
According to the requirements of the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), flights to and from the United States that are operated by non-US airlines must comply with the relevant provisions of the law from 13 May 2009. You can check the content of relevant rules and regulations in the following ways:
- For calls made from within the United States, by telephone via the Toll-Free-Hotline for Air Travelers with Disabilities at 1-800-778-4838 (voice) or 1-800-455-9880 (TTY),
- by telephone to the Aviation Consumer Protection Division at 202-366-2220 (voice) or 202-366-0511 (TTY);
- By mail to the Air Consumer Protection Division, C-75, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave., SE., West Building, Room W-96-432, Washington, DC20590, the United States of America.
- On the Aviation Consumer Protection Division's Website.
Yes. EVA Air now offers a check-in service for some return flights.
If you depart from Taipei, Kaohsiung, Hong Kong or Macau and have a return flight departing within 48 hours, you will receive the boarding passes for both sectors when you check in for your first flight. If you have baggage to check in, please do so at least one hour before your scheduled departure.
You are entitled to access VIP lounges if you fall into one of the following categories:
- Premium Royal/Premium Laurel/Business Class passenger
- Infinity MileageLands Diamond Card member
- Infinity MileageLands Gold Card member
- Infinity MileageLands Silver Card member (Note: Silver Card members travelling on any EVA Air international flight can access the EVA Air VIP Lounge at TPE/BKK. Silver Card members who hold an Evergreen Deluxe Class or Elite Class ticket, or have a confirmed upgraded reservation, can access EVA Air VIP Lounges worldwide.)
Facilities and Service at EVA's Showcase Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport EVA Air Lounge
- The Garden: for EVA Air Infinity MileageLands Diamond Card members.
- The Infinity: for EVA Air Infinity MileageLands Diamond Card members, EVA Air Royal Laurel/Premium Laurel/Business Class and Star Alliance Airlines First/Business Class passengers.
- The Star: for EVA Air Infinity MileageLands Gold Card members and Star Alliance Gold Card members.
- The Club: for EVA Air Infinity MileageLands Silver Card members
- Opening hours: 05:30 to 23:30
- Amenities and services:
- Business centre (personal computers, high-speed Internet access, fax machines, telephones)
- Luggage-check room
- Private VIP or conference rooms
- Nursery or child care room
- Lounge guest telephone
- Drinks, snacks and desserts
- Magazines, newspapers
- Some facilities and services will incur a separate charge.
A flight ticket
You must possess a complete and valid flight ticket issued by EVA Air, and use it in sequential order. The flight ticket is a contract and shall not be tampered with or modified, or else it will be deemed invalid. Note that ticket prices of the same booking class vary depending on the season, date of journey and the region where the ticket was purchased. If you breach the usage terms or conditions, EVA Air may request you to make up the difference in the fare for the journey that you are undertaking.
You must possess a valid passport to travel overseas, and some countries also request a minimum validity period for visitor passports, which is six months in most cases. As well as your passport, please make sure that you have the entry visa and quarantine certificate(s) required by any countries that you will leave, enter or stop over in before you travel. Failure to produce these travel documents may cause you to be denied entry to, or deported from, your destination country. EVA Air and our handling agents will not be liable in any way for any consequences arising from your not having the required or valid travel documents.
Checked baggage and carry-on baggage
Please make sure that a luggage tag with the correct English-language information is attached to all items of your baggage. Name tags are available free of charge at EVA Air check-in counters in every airport. Baggage exceeding the free baggage allowance specified on your flight ticket will be subject to a surcharge. Please notify the check-in staff of your ongoing flights, if any, as the baggage can, in most cases, be delivered directly to your destination. In the interests of passenger safety, carry-on baggage is subject to quantity, size and weight restrictions. Your baggage may be subject to inspection by customs agents or government officials when deemed necessary.
- Make sure that the information on the boarding pass (your name, flight number, destination, etc.) is correct.
- Make sure that you have received the correct receipt for your checked baggage, with all the baggage being delivered to your destination.
- Make sure that you have retrieved all of your travel documents and flight tickets.
- Complete any other required procedures, such as payment of airport tax and service charges.
- Always arrive at the boarding gate in advance of your flight.
- Please contact EVA Air staff at the airport in question for assistance with a flight transfer.
- In principle, your checked baggage will be transported from the starting terminal where the seat selection process takes place, straight to the destination terminal of your confirmed ongoing flight. Nevertheless, please note that customs and quarantine regulations in some countries stipulate that checked baggage delivered directly to the destination must clear customs at the terminal of the transfer flight.
- Passengers travelling with EVA Air for the entire duration of their journey will usually receive all of their boarding passes at the starting point.
- EVA Air offers assistance to passengers travelling with young children, children travelling alone, passengers with mental or physical disabilities or any other passenger who needs help with their flight transfer.
Airport Self-check-in Kiosk (CUSS)
The airport self-check-in kiosk is available until one hour before the flight departure time. (The actual hours of operation may differ according to the airport in question.)
Our airport self-service kiosks are easy to use. However, please contact a member of EVA Air staff should you need help at any point.
Airport self-check-in kiosks are capable of handling most itineraries. The most common exceptions include:
- Passengers whose reservations have not been confirmed.
- Passengers who have no electronic ticket.
- Passengers requiring special assistance.
- Passengers with an infant under 2 years of age.
- Check-in with more than 2 connecting flights, e.g., NRT-TPE-BKK-CDG-MUC.
- Airport check-in kiosk without bag tags printing service: Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Terminal 2, Taipei Song Shan Airport, Taichung Airport, Kaohsiung Airport, Fukuoka Airport, Tokyo Haneda Airport, Incheon airport, Bangkok Airport, Hong Kong Airport, Amsterdam Airport, Los Angeles Airport, Seattle Airport and Toronto Airport.
- Airport check-in kiosk with bag tags printing service: Tokyo Narita Airport, Kansai Airport, London Heathrow Airport and Singapore Changi Airport.
Yes. You can check in at an airport self-check-in kiosk, get your self-printed boarding pass and proceed to the EVA Air baggage counter to drop off your bags.
If you are departing from London, Narita Airport or Kansai International Airport, you may use the kiosks to print your baggage tag(s) before proceeding to the bag drop counter.
- The airport self-check-in service is available until one hour prior to the flight departure time on the day of departure. (The actual hours of operation may differ according to the airport in question.)
- An overnight airport-self-check-in-kiosk service is also available for flights departing before 6:00 am the following day.